Morning everyone, since I woke up today and decided that I need to start taking my supplements more regularly I thought I would actually write a blog post on what I take, or at least try and take regularly…
If you really know me you would know that I avoid take medicine and any sort of pharmaceutical drugs!! I no longer have pain killers inside every bag in case of emergency and I stopped taking the hormonal contraceptive pill a year ago!!! (omg It’s been a year! Wow! This just hit me as I was thinking about the last time I took one) …
Anyways but you get what I mean, I just avoid them, & the same goes to “vitamins” & all that “healthy” pills some of us have been brain washed into thinking we need to make sure we consuming all the vitamins out there when really we can do that by simply just eating a well-balanced diet
MY rule in regards to this is simple! Eat a HEALTHY BALANCED PLANT BASED DIET! Lots of greens, lots of fruits, healthy fats, seeds, grains & nuts!
However, if you are a picky eater & perhaps done blood test recently & know that there are things missing in your diet that it’s hard for you to get through food then go ahead & find an excellent a supplement which will provide you with that nutrient you are missing…
But please do not start taking pills for the sake of thinking you need X, Y & Z! Trust your body & listen to it. YOUR BODY IS GENIOUS! It will tell you what it needs if you just listen to it, whenever you eat food, whatever it needs it will take from that thing you are consuming!
For example, a lot of people when they think of protein, they think “animal protein” only, however lots of vegetables, grains, legumes provide protein… so let’s say your body need some to repair your muscles after that hard core workout you just had, your body will take what it needs (nutrients) from that food your consuming! Genius right! 🙂
Anyways that was a long F* introduction! Let’s just get straight into it!
& in case you’re new here, I am a plant based eater, I say plant based not vegan, because sometimes I do have sea food, once or twice a month, I believe in listening to your body & if I craved something like eggs or fish I would have it, thinking I did good to my body! However the past few months I’ve learnt that necessarily isn’t a reason to consume the above… check out my blog post on “cravings” here!
+ For the past few months I’ve been consuming eggs on & off until I watched this recent documentary “What the health” which was recommended by a friend who has actually just wrote a blog post about it, so check it out here (will insert once its published!)! But seriously if you guys haven’t watched this new documentary it is a must, click here to watch!
& another reason why I don’t call myself vegan, is because veganism is more than just what you eat! It is your make up, your clothes, your home essentials, cleaning products & list goes on… & I am working on all of those as it’s a journey & not an overnight change. Well, at least for me 🙂
Okay so supplements!
I will list the things I take first & then I will explain why…
- Vegan Multivitamin & minerals
- Vitamin C effervescent tablets!
- Dong Quai
Side note, these supplements suit me and my needs, these are by no means what I recommend everyone… yes some of these I do think a lot of you will benefit from but I will let you make that decision! 🙂
Now, my reasons:
- Probiotics: probiotics are nature’s antibiotics!
I personally take these because I know I have digestive issues, I know a lot of my problems are caused by my gut and therefore I take probiotics to heal & balance the bacteria in my gut. If you do suffer from similar issues, digestion, constipation, IBS, then yes I would definitely recommend you take probiotics! 🙂
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a crucial MINERAL most of us lack & are unaware of! I personally take magnesium cause again it helps me with my digestion, PMS, increases energy levels, helps with muscle aches, calms nerves & anxiety 🙂
If you do suffer from terrible period cramps, PMS in general, headaches and migraines, sleeping problems I would suggest you look at your diet and whether you are getting enough or any of this mineral. For example, good sources of magnesium is buckwheat, leafy greens, whole grains, avocado & bananas! Do you crave chocolate at time of the month too? Then that’s a pretty good sign your body is actually lacking magnesium & not chocolate 😉
- Biotin: hmmm this one I take for aesthetic reasons! Yes I am vain like that! Well my main reasons is for my hair & nail! But to be honest with you I don’t see any difference & I’ve been taking vitamins for my nail & nails for a long time!
However, it is good to know that biotin provides vitamin B7, is a water-soluble vitamin that’s a part of the vitamin B complex — a group of key nutrients needed for healthy metabolic, nerve, digestive and cardiovascular functions. & it works wonders for many people so if you want thicker hair & stronger nails give it a go!
- B12: okay this one is a must for me! & should be a must for anyone who is vegan/plant based! B12 is the only nutrient that is difficult if not impossible to get from a vegan diet!
B12 deficiency is probably the most common thing in those who follow a vegan lifestyle and it’s usually reported with symptoms of fatigue! However this should not make you question your vegan lifestyle choice you should just make sure that you are having tons of green vegetables! & taking b12 supplement if you do suffer from fatigue…
However there are few B12 vegan foods you can add to your diet! These are foods fortified with B12 (including some plant milks, some soy products and some breakfast cereals) but my favourite is NUTRTIONAL YEAST! Yummy, nice cheese replacement & so cheap! J
- Vegan Multivitamin & minerals: this one is just something I keep in my kitchen I take one, when I know my diet isn’t at its best! For instance, I’ve been eating mostly vegan the past 2/3 months! But rarely green vegetables! I know so so bad, but I’ve really been lazy in the kitchen & have been leaving off fruits & buckwheat, seeds & nuts! :/ just having been feeling salad lately ! HELP ME!!!!! 🙁
- Vitamin C effervescent tablets: okay don’t judge me! But citrus fruits are freaking expensive in China! Well if you eat as much fruits as I do! They really are… I haven’t bought a single orange for the past 6 months! Lol!! & I know that’s no excuse, but I have been taking vitamin C to replace it but also to help me with my allergies, air pollution, strengthen my immune system & in case you didn’t know Vitamin C actually helps you absorb iron & aids in the formation of collagen.
- Dong Quai: what the heck is this you ask? Well I am getting myself into Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) these days 😉 lol
But no I came across this amazing herb a year ago when I was coming off the hormonal pill and was looking for something to help with my cramps (which I don’t suffer from anymore by the way, not because I take the supplement but mainly because of my diet!).
Dong Quai AKA “female ginseng” is a herb from the family Apiaceae, indigenous to China. Besides its amazing benefits at that time of the month, Dong quai is used orally as a ”blood purifier”; to manage hypertension, infertility, joint pain, ulcers, “tired blood” (anemia), and constipation; and in the prevention and treatment of allergic attacks.
I really don’t want this blog post to drag on, but some of the above supplements are really worth you checking them out & I encourage you to research them further, especially dong quai !
So here you have it, I hope you guys enjoyed this post and at least found it informative 🙂
Again, do check out my friends post here & the documentary what the health, here.